Wednesday, November 23, 2011

gratitude.

On the eve of this Thanksgiving I am overwhelmed with gratitude.  I'm working tomorrow and Friday, so I'm surprising James with a thanksgiving dinner tonight.  The pie and turkey are in the oven and I find myself sitting here reflecting on life.  What a year it has been!  The last year has been incredibly difficult (you can read more about that here and here)  in addition to the normal stress and emotional roller coaster the journey of adoption brings.  Yet, today we're not only standing....we're jumping, dancing and rejoicing!  The last year has stretched us and grown us into the people we are today--and has led us to Moses.  God has been so incredibly faithful.  We can't stop looking at pictures of our little guy.  He already has brought us so much joy.

However, Friday's joy didn't come without a twist of emotions and heartbreak.  To see our son's face is an answer to prayers.  Yet, I'm reminded that all adoption stories begin with tragedy, and for that I cried.  I cried for the brokenness of his past and all he has already endured.  I cried because my #1 fan in life (my mom) wasn't here to join in the earthly celebration.  She longed to see our referral day, yet God called her home just three months before.

It hurts, yet my heart is bursting with thanksgiving. I'm rejoicing in the story God is writing with our lives.  Through the pain and heartache, we continue to trust and believe and hope for God is good...so, so good. As we wait for our papers to reach Ethiopia, wait for our court date, wait for our embassy date, and ultimately as we wait to bring Moses home, we pray God may continue to refine us.  We pray he may grant us wisdom and prepare us for the road ahead.

I still can't believe it.
I can't believe we get the privilege to do this.
Happy Thanksgiving, friends.
We are so blessed.

with love,
Emily

3 comments:

  1. We are proud grandparents of Natalie Degeme Foster who will be home with her Mom and Dad on Friday. We continue to be grateful too AND to pray for all of you who demonstrate Christ's love through adoption. Your blog shouts of two tender hearts and is a beautiful life story that's just begun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. So thankful we get to do this together and for you as my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a distant follower from Pittsburgh, but I check in about every two weeks, and wear my shirt often. ;) I just wanted to congratulate you both on becoming parents, and say I am smiling ear to ear and crying at the same time. What a wonderful gift for two wonderful people. Moses is a lucky boy. All the best for your new family. :)

    ReplyDelete