Monday, August 15, 2011

Mercy.

Six years ago the old familiar hymn, "Great Is Thy Faithfulness" permeated my life in a new and tangible way.  Six years ago my mom aquired a rare auto-immune disease that left her organs failing as she lay sedated and vented in the intensive care unit.


Mom spent weeks in the hospital fighting for her life and every morning I would head northbound on 131 to be with her and my dad.  Morning after morning as I approached the "s curve" the sun would be rising--brilliant in color and size--the light so bright it blinded my vision for a fraction of a second.


As I drove thinking and praying for my mom the rising of the sun was a tangible promise of a new day ahead. My heart swelled with the words of the old familiar hymn...


"Great is thy faithfulness
Great is thy faithfulness
Morning by morning new mercies I see



The words never so sweeter--the promises never so true.  Now six years later the memory of those mornings have not fled. The power of the hymn continues to bring tears to my eyes and I can't help but raise my hands in gratitude and surrender.  The last few weeks as I've been driving to the hospital in which I work, and I approach the on ramp, the sun appears, brilliant in color and size.  The words of that old beloved hymn flood my heart once again.


What a powerful reminder--a much needed reminder for my life-for our adoption-for my mom's health-and daily stress and struggles.


""All I have needed thy hand hath provided





Great is thy faithfulness, Lord unto me"


Now six years later mom is beginning the evaluation process for a heart transplant.  And today we're one day closer to seeing the picture of the child God has chosen for us.  


What a journey--we've come so far and for this girl who never was a morning person--I've found beauty, joy and a peace that surpasses all human understanding in the rising of the sun.


No comments:

Post a Comment