Thursday, August 12, 2010

From the beginning.

[WARNING: long post!!!]


Adoption has always been in the back of our minds as something we wanted to do...someday. This is how that "someday" turned into...now.

Friends from Calvin have been working at a children's home in Haiti. I've always had a desire to travel internationally and ever since my days in Romania I've had an itching to go [somewhere] again. Somewhere to love on children that were abandoned, alone, and overcome by poverty. Jim and I decided we wanted to go to Haiti, to love on the kiddos at Children of the Promise and see Jenny and Jamie.

Our tentative plan was to go in January. My application was complete and references written. I was psyched! [Jim was on the youth retreat while I was doing this...and was going to complete his application upon returning to NC [that was before we had a flood and went to Michigan!]

But, the more I thought about going to Haiti, the more hesitant I got. Not about the trip or loving on the kiddos, but about leaving them. I knew a part of my heart would be left behind and I didn't know if I was strong enough to go....without an adoption plan in place.

Jim entertained the thought, but brushed it off.
I was persistent.

We agreed to put in our primary application to Children of the Promise following our trip home to Michigan. On July 28 we submitted it...and waited.

REJECTION. We knew the requirements were strict, but we weren't quite ready to hear you had to be 35 years old and married for 10 years. We were a bit off on both ;)

So now what? We didn't feel a calling to adopt elsewhere...was God telling us to wait? to have biological children first? to adopt from another country?

A few days later God spoke loud and clear to me. [One of the most distinct times in my life I can recall hearing His voice] He was saying "NOW" "Trust me".

However, Jim didn't hear that same message. :) How were we on two different pages and serving the same God? Lots of emotions were involved. My heart was already wrapped around the idea of welcoming an Ethiopian child into our lives. We tried to compromise...and I agreed to multiple different scenarios.

But, God was persistent.

We prayed constantly. Together. Individually. For God to make HIS will known to both of us. That we may be like-minded.

On August 3, 2010 I came home from work...completely exhausted [and slightly cranky]. My husband greeted me with a huge grin. He embraced me. He said he had been talking to God and was now at peace. He too, heard the call.

I can't describe the emotions. Pure joy.
[with a touch of financial fear].
But, we feel we're right where we are suppose to be. Finances still intimidate me. But, we're learning to trust a God who is orchestrating His plan in our lives....and it feels so good.

Our application is almost complete. We should know in two weeks if we qualify [we know we meet Ethiopia's requirements], we just need to be approved by Children's Hope International.

It's been an amazing journey so far.
I'm trying to be patient and enjoy the ride!
with love,
em

1 comment:

  1. Wow you guys inspire me to become a better person. I can't believe I get to call you guys brother and sister. And to some day call your child my nephew (or niece)!! I will be praying for you guys and the fears and anxieties that may arise from this process. I will also be praying for my new nephew or niece. And await patiently for the call that I am again an aunt!! I'm blessed to have you both in my life! Can't wait to see you October!! Woot woot!

    ReplyDelete